Friday, February 6, 2015

Musings and pictures from my Seattle Trip, January 2015





Greetings from 35,000 feet, somewhere over Oregon.

I have been lucky enough over my personal and professional career to have traveled to many places across this great country and world.

Recently, I found myself able to go to Seattle for a very important conference and on the last day of the conference, I was able to get out and take a few photos from across the Seattle area.  During this time, I took a trip with a good friend of mine to the top of the Space Needle, and we were in for quite the treat.  While we were waiting to get to the top, I was worried we would miss the sunset.  We were able to get up there with time to spare, and we were treated to one of the most beautiful and spectacular shows mother nature could put on.  

Good Morning Seattle!
From the top of the Space Needle, just as the sun was getting ready to set. 


Where the fog meets the city. 

This is one of my favorites from just before the sun set.




Wait, it gets better!
I played around with the color on this picture a little in Photoshop.  Can you tell? 




The mountain is almost a protector, watching over the city.  
Playing around in Photoshop again....which one do you like? 


Day is almost done...
A little spec on the horizon.
Here I go playing around with Photoshop again...

This picture does not do it justice to what it looked like. 
You knew it was an awesome sunset when the people who work at the Space Needle were stopping to take photos. 
It took me a while to get this exact shot with the Ferris Wheel lit up. 


Fair winds and following seas....

Little bit of a different take on the photo above. 
Sleepless in Seattle....

I think this is my favorite photo from the whole trip.


On my way home, I originally was going to go from Seattle to Portland to Minneapolis, and then home to Fargo.  Unfortunately, on the ground, it looked like this.
I wonder why we can't take off!
After a few (ok, more than a few hours) in airports, I finally ended the day in Salt Lake City.  Too bad on the way home, I broke out my phone and took some SPECTACULAR photos from 38,000 feet.  On different flights.





Eventually, I ended up in Salt Lake City.  In the morning, I was greeted with yet another spectacular day. 

Good morning Salt Lake!


Finally, after a couple of flights, two days, and thousands of miles in the air later, I was on my way home.  


As I reflect on my trip home, I think of a few things.  One, how happy I would be to know that night I would be sleeping in my own bed, to see my family, my dog who I know missed me, and two, the great conference I was just at.  I was lucky enough to meet with and talk to some of the smartest and most talented minds on the planet.  I also thought of something a Delta gate agent at Salt Lake City said to me.  "Sir, I don't know how calm you can be after what we just put you through." I replied, "Why would I be mad?  Getting mad solves nothing.  You're making sure I get home in one piece, you're putting me up in a really nice hotel tonight, and I got to see some of the most wonderful and beautiful sights this country has to offer.", as I whipped out my cell phone and showed him some of the pictures.  I look at how lucky I've been.  I was lucky enough to be on a Reality TV show.  I have a great family, who no matter what happens through our ups and downs have always been there.  I have a great stepmom and stepfamily who I have a great relationship with.  I have friends all over the world, so no matter where I go, I never really am alone.  To the world, I may not be someone, but to my son, I am the world.  I've fought cancer, and won.  I have a house, two great jobs, and I get to live out my childhood dream of being a weather guy on TV.  I truly am blessed. 

Our country is full of anger - anger over taxes, jobs, who has money, who doesn't have money, who has too much money, healthcare, measles, delayed flights, sickness, drugs, education, celebrities and selfies, you name it. Would it hurt us to take some time for ourselves, and instead of being mad and angry at the world, stop to look at how beautiful it truly is?  

No comments:

Post a Comment